Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Haiti - A Very Special Place


Truth Connect will conduct a leadership training conference in northern Haiti next month.  I am looking forward to returning to this country that has made such a huge impact in my life.  My first visit there in 1999 was truly memorable - interpret that to mean severe culture shock - I couldn't wait to leave!  But, I recovered from that initial trip and God has allowed me to return to Haiti many, many times.

Over the years I led a number of  Mission Discovery teams (www.missiondiscovery.org) into Port-au-Prince and Port-de-Paix where we partnered with pastors and local churches to serve the poor, i.e., just about anyone you meet there.  I had the privilege to create a child sponsorship program in Haiti called HOLD the children.  HOLD  helps poor children attend school and provides them with necessities like pencils, uniform and a school lunch (www.holdthechildren.org).  Haiti's history and culture are so captivating that I researched and wrote a book  about it and how HOLD the children is making a difference there.  If you would like a PDF copy of the book, email your request to don@truthconnect.org.  There is no charge but a donation would help Truth Connect as it serves the poor and needy.  Please write out your tax-deductible check to Truth Connect and send to P.O. Box 5608, Johnstown PA, 15904.

In December, 2010 I left Mission Discovery and HOLD the children for a new calling and to start a new, non-profit ministry called Truth Connect.  The Lord has placed in my heart the strong desire to educate and encourage Christian leaders to be disciple-makers where they live.  There are many church leaders around the world who love the Lord and are passionate to lead the local church but lack basic training in Bible and leadership skills.  It for these Christian leaders that Truth Connect exists - to educate, encourage and empower them to be disciple-makers for the glory of God!  Truth Connect recruits skilled Christian trainers to go where these needy leaders live and educate, encourage and love them.  Truth Connect needs not only trainers but project helpers and prayer walkers too.  If this sounds of interest to you, please contact me to learn more.

In a few weeks I'll return to Haiti with another trainer-friend for a leadership conference.  And, when I think of Haiti, I see pictures of people and places that are special to me.  God has taught me so much through my Haitian friends - young and not so young.  I am thankful to God for them all.

HOLD the children sponsor child.
HOLD the children  school teacher.
Don with the HOLD the children's very first sponsor child, Sedler (left).  
HOLD the children Home under construction in 2008, Lavaud, Haiti.

River near Port-de-Paix airport has many uses.
The primary problem children face in Haiti is hunger.
Dr. Don and Pastor Exante with orphans living at HOLD the children Home.
A friend with Dr. Don at evangelistic outreach in Port-de-Paix.
 Haitian kitchen.
One of Don's first trips to Haiti - what an impact!
Pastor Bolivar, Pastor Exante, Dr. Don in Lavaud, Haiti.
Pastor Bazile and his father - Cap Haitian.