Thursday, May 15, 2014

Why Pray?

Why pray?  God showed me one reason why in a very humbling way. A few years ago I was walking through a Haitian village visiting friends and making pastoral calls.  Before long, a little boy ran up and grabbed my hand and pulled me while spouting, “My mommy  wants you  to  come  to our house, my baby brother is sick.” 

Haitian mother and child.

  I hesitated for just a moment before I allowed this little barefoot Haitian boy to pull me along the dusty path littered with broken glass and rusted car parts.  A spooked rat quickly scampered for cover as we passed a pile of rotting garbage.The reason for my hesitation was because I knew what was coming and I didn’t feel ready for it.  

   When we reached the little shack where the boy lived, his mother came to the door.  She said, “My baby is sick, please, would you pray for him?”  She invited me inside her humble home.  It was very warm and very crowded inside.  In one corner was an old hutch that contained a few precious pictures and a clutter of odds and ends.  In another corner was a small table with a plastic container of water, a few metal cooking  utensils  and  bowls.   Her charcoal cooking stove was just outside the house.  A near-by hand dug well with a bucket tied to a yellow nylon rope provided water.

     The little boy lay motionless on the clean and tidy bed. Me: “How long has he been like this?” Her: “A couple of days.” Me: “Have you seen a doctor.” Her: “No. I have no money.”  The mother expectantly waited for me to pray.  

       I leaned over the boy and laid my hands on him - he did not feel feverish. I began to pray to the Lord for this little one - that the Lord would heal him and restore his health.   I prayed for his mother and for his family.  I prayed and I prayed.  But honestly, I felt so inadequate at that moment.  Part of me was praying and another part of me was judging saying, “Who are you to pray for a healing?”  It was a terrible time to be having a spiritual battle within my own heart and mind. When I finished praying the little boy  still lay there motionless.  I didn’t know what else to say to the mother other than, “Bon Dieu beni ou” or “God bless you,”  and I left.

As I walked away, hearing broken glass crunch beneath  my  shoes, I said in my heart to God, “What just happened back there?  God, why did you  give  me  that assignment?  Don’t you know how inadequate I feel I am to pray healing for someone?”  Then God’s voice spoke to my heart very clearly and lovingly, “You are inadequate.  I Am more than adequate. That is why you pray to Me.” 

God taught me a valuable lesson that day and I remember it often.  I witness many difficult circumstances around the world that seem hopeless and for which I am most inadequate to handle.  Then the Lord reminds me of that day, in the Haitian village and whispers to my heart, “Pray for these people.  I Am more than adequate!” 

Orphans learn to pray in Kenya.

God proclaims, “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me” (Jer. 32:27).  Jesus declared, “The things that are impossible with people are possible with God” (Lk. 18:27).  

     Why pray?  Because God is all powerful, compassionate and loving.  We pray because He  “is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think according to the power that works within us” (Eph. 3:20-21).  Friend, pray often; pray in faith; pray in Jesus name. "In Christ"  we have access to God (Eph. 1-3).

Don praying over orphans in Kenya.