Thursday, August 16, 2012

Choices & Consequeces


It seems every day we learn of someone who has made poor choices and now “it’s harvest time” – spouses separate, charges filed, accounts overdrawn, health problems, on and on it goes.  Sometimes we’re shocked by the revelation and who is involved – the couple who seemed so “together,” the community leader who seemed so moral.  The truth is, every person has a sin-broken-heart and is capable of making terrible decisions.  Every decision we make has consequences – either good or bad.  The Bible says, “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked, whatsoever a man sows, this he will reap” (Gal. 6:7).  This law of life is always at work just like the law of gravity.

I'll be the first to admit my sin nature howls - often.  And, I've made my share of poor decisions.  I'm not proud of that - just stating a fact.  And with that admission, I remind myself and you that every day we must choose with whom will we walk – this world’s master or Heaven’s  Master.  Yesterday's victories and accomplishments are admirable but they won't cover our choices today.  Truly, "A ship does not sail on yesterday's wind." 

Years ago my daughter framed a poem for me that continues to inspire and challenge me.  On my desk I have a sticky note with the words, "You must choose!  Eagle or Wolf."  Read the poem and you'll understand the note.  Choose wisely my friend - and let us help one another day by day.  

The Eagle & The Wolf  (anon)
There is a great battle that rages inside me.
One side is the soaring eagle. 
Everything the eagle stands for is good and true and beautiful, and it soars above the clouds.  Even though it dips down into the valley, it lays its eggs on the mountaintops. 
The other side of me is the howling wolf. 
And that raging, howling wolf represents the worst that is in me.   He feeds upon my downfalls and justifies himself by his presence in the pack.
Who wins this great battle?  The one I feed.

“Therefore, fear the LORD and worship Him in sincerity and truth.  Get rid of the gods your ancestors worshiped ….  But if it doesn’t please you to worship the LORD, choose for yourselves today the one you will worship….  As for me and my family, we will worship the LORD.”  Joshua 24:14-15.